Tuesday, 21 January 2014
Syria Talks: Ban Ki Moon Invites, Then Withdraws Invitation From Iran: by Benson Agoha
* UN Scribe: Ban Ki Moon.
The United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon, yesterday withdrewn earlier invitation made to Iran to attend tomorrow's Peace Talks on Syria.
Fears circulated that the peace-talks was was hanging by the thread after the opposition said they will not attend the talks if Iran sends a delegation.
In official statement released by the United Nations News Centre, the UN Scribe said he was deeply disappointed and was withdrawing the invitation because Iran's public statements were totally inconsistent with oral assurances he had been given.
The withdrawal was made less than 24 hours after an invitation was made to Iran to attend the talks scheduled for Wednesday January 22nd, 2014.
The official statement “The Secretary-General is deeply disappointed by Iranian public statements today that are not at all consistent with that stated commitment,”
Mr. Ban’s spokesperson, Martin Nesirky, said in a statement at UN Headquarters in New York “He continues to urge Iran to join the global consensus behind the Geneva Communiqué. Given that it has chosen to remain outside that basic understanding, he has decided that the one-day Montreux gathering will proceed without Iran’s participation.”
The UN Scribe said he invited Iran after Foreign Minister Javad Zarif assured him that his country understands that the basis of the talks is full implementation of an action plan adopted in the so-called Geneva Communique of 2012, which calls for a transitional government to lead to free and fair elections, the statement said.
The withdrawal folowed media reports indicating that Syria’s political opposition had threatened to withdraw from the talks if Iran was not dropped from the list by the the Secretary General.
The statement said the Secretary-General looked forward to joining the US and Russia, as well as some 40 other States and organizations that will attend “this long-awaited and hugely important push for peace.
“The Syrian parties, the region and the international community have an opportunity and a responsibility to end the violence and begin a transition towards a new Syria,” the statement said.
The withdrawal is further evidence that the United Nations and all supporters of peace are prepared to make necessary compromises to achieve an peace end to the conflict that had claimed over 120.000 lives and displaced millions.
* Twitter: @bensonagoha.
* Twitter: @woolwichonline.
<>-----------------------------------------<>
* Do you have a Story, News, Photos or Views to share?
* Except otherwise instructed, to protect identity, Woolwich Online retains the right to substitute name of authors, as is the case in the story above.
* Articles for publication must have full contact details, including name, address and telephone number of sender and sent by email to: onlinewoolwich@yahoo.co.uk.
<>-----------------------------------------<>
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
CAMBRIDGE RESEARCH ON PROTECTION OF INSTRACTURE:
LA GALAXY 0: 7 MANCHESTER UNITED:
FESTIVAL: ROYAL ARSENAL FOR THE GDIF 2014:
TFL BUSES: CASH PAYMENT TO STOP ON SUNDAY:
KIDNAPPED TEEN'S DEAD BODIES BURIED:
SAINSBURY'S TO TEAM UP WITH NETTO:
EFFECTS OF QUALIFICATION ON EMPLOYMENT:
TESCO LAUNCHES "MY FIT LIVESTYLE" RANGE:
GREENWICH CARERS OFFER ADVICE TO CARERS:
PETITIONERS OPPOSE CLOSURE OF M&S WOOLWICH:
McDONALDS RESTAURANT KNOW A THING OR TWO ABOUT POSITIONING:
COMMUNITY SINGERS ENTERTAIN PUB GOERS:
NIGERIA: BRINGBACKOURGIRLS CAMPAIN HEADS TO PRESIDENTS OFFICE:
UKRAINE: RUSSIA SET TO SUBMIT DRAFT RESOLUTION TO UN:
BOKO HARAM ATTACK AND KILL TRADITIONAL RULER:
TESCO COMPLETES JOINT VENTURE WITH CRE:
EGYPT'S PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2014:
ISRAEL NOT HAPPY WITH RISE OF FAR RIGHT IN EUROPE POLITICS:
KANYE-KIM WEDDING PHOTOS RELEASED:
NIGERIA: DHQ DENIES INVOLVEMENT IN ALLEGED MASSACRE IN BORNO:
KANSAS CITY WATERSLIDE IS TALLEST IN THE WORLD:
HOPE FOR DEMENTIA SUFFERERS:
OPEN STUDIOS EVENT - MAY 2014 KICKS OFF:
KELLY ROWLAND WEDS HER MANAGER IN COSTA RICA:
GDAA TO LAUNCH EVENT IN WOOLWICH:
FORMER ISRAELI PM, EHUD OLMERT JAILED:
EUROVISION CONTEST WON BY AUSTRIAN:
INTERNATIONAL RESCUE EFFORT GATHERS MOMENTUM:
NEW BOOK INTRODUCTION AND SIGNING:
PREMIER LEAGUE COMES TO A THRILLING CLOSE:
A JOKER MAKES FUN OF A SERIOUS ISSUE:
ITALY: FORMER PRIME MINISTER BEGINS COMMUNITY SERVICE:
NIGERIA: INTERNATIONAL SOLIDARITY GROWS OVER MISSING GIRLS:
BASHAR AL-ASSAD VISIT CHILDREN ON MATRYS' DAY:
PROGRESS REPORT OF GOVERNMENT INITIATIVE FOR TROUBLED FAMILIES:
ITALY CRIES OUT OVER SCALE OF MIGRANTS:
ROYAL GREENWICH TALL SHIPS REGATTA 2014 PREVIEW:
ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN RELATIONS SUFFER SET-BACK:
CHELSEA V PSG ENDS IN FAVOUR OF HOME TEAM:
RUSSIA READY TO TALK WITH WEST ON UKRAINE:
PINGER LOCATOR DETECTS MH370 SIGNAL:
ISREAL DEMOLISHES ILLEGAL SETTLEMENTS:
SAINSBURY'S NAMED AS TIMES TOP EMPLOYER FOR WOMEN:
NIGERIA'S CBN GOVERNOR WINS HARRASSMENT CASE:
LUPITA NYONGO'O THE NEW BRAND AMBASSADOR:
LATEST FROM THE OFFICE OF NATIONAL STATISTICS:
HARVARD TAKES HARD STANCE AGAINST SEXUAL MISCONDUCT:
FULL MANIFEST RELEASED FOR MISSING PASSENGER PLANE:
ISRAELI - PALESTINIAN PEACE TALKS:
SHOPLIFTERS ARREST AT TESCO EXTRA:
EHUD OLMERT, FORMER ISRAELI PM CONVICTED:
MIDDLE EAST: PRISONER RELEASE DELAY:
APPLYING FOR BRITISH PASSPORTS FROM OVERSEAS MADE CHEAPER:
FLIGHT MH370 LOST:
SAINSBURY'S V TESCO ARGUMENTS HEAD TO HIGH COURT:
EGYPT: Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi For President:
NIGERIAN PRESIDENT MISQUOTED ON MISSING MONEY:
122 MORE DEBRIS SPOTTED ON SATELLITE SCAN:

FLIGHT MH370 Update: 122 New Objects Spotted On Southern Indian Ocean
No comments:
Post a Comment